(Reposted from CSI Newsletter)
Owners and operators of community and other types of public swimming pools will be able to take advantage of rebates for installing solar pool heaters under a new portion of the California Solar Initiative-Thermal Program.
In mid-August, the California Public Utilities Commission approved additional rebates for solar pool heaters at commercial and government facilities, schools, multifamily housing and locations operated by nonprofit organizations. Swimming pools at single-family homes are not eligible for the rebate program.
This exciting new program change is aimed at ramping up natural gas-offsetting solar water heating projects. It comes on the heels of the recent decision to include rebates for commercial and multifamily process heat applications, solar cooling, space heating and combination systems. These incentives went live on Sept. 25, 2013.
With pools added to the program, the CPUC and Program Administrators expect to see more projects built, adding significantly to reductions in natural gas use and greenhouse gas emissions.
Some key points about the decision include
• The primary purpose is to reduce consumption of natural gas for heating pool water
• Project must be within the service territory of PG&E, SCG or SDG&E
• Incentives start at $7 per annual therms displaced
• Incentive rates decline over the life of the program in four steps and move independently in each utility territory
• Maximum pool incentive is $500,000; combination systems must take PBI incentive
• Systems must use OG-100 collectors, have new or unused components (rare exceptions), include stagnation protection and be installed by eligible contractors
• Systems with a signed-off permit date of Jan. 1, 2013, or later are eligible
Program Administrators anticipate implementing this new aspect of the program by the end of the year. A revision of the CSI-Thermal Handbook will reflect the additional program offering. Check for more details soon at the CSI-Thermal website.
Call Adroit Solar for details and a quote on the Commercial Solar Pool Heating system! (858) 483-3568